Hazardous tsunami waves possible around Papua New Guinea after preliminary magnitude 7.7 earthquake hits off coast
Houthi television claims there are dozens of civilian casualties in airstrikes north of Yemen capital Sanaa
HOUTHI TELEVISION CALLS ON MEDICAL PERSONNEL TO REPORT TO HOSPITALS IN YEMEN CAPITAL SANAA- ALMASIRAH TV
Saudi Arabia has launched air strikes against Houthi fighters in Yemen, the Saudi ambassador in the US has announced.
The country’s rare military operation came as the Sunni kingdom vowed to do “anything necessary” to restore “the legitimate government of Yemen” after the Iranian-backed rebelsforced the president to flee his compound in the capital Sanaa yesterday.
Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir said his government had consulted closely with the US and other allies, but said the US military was not involved in the operations.
Nine other countries have joined the military coalition, he said, but declined to name to name them.
Foreign ships have been warned from approaching Yemeni ports, the Saudi-owned al-Hadath television channel said.
A senior leader of Yemen’s Houthi movement warned that the strikes would set off a “wide war” in the region.
“There is an aggression underway on Yemen and we will confront it valiantly,” Mohammed al-Bukhaiti, a member of the Houthis politburo, told the Doha-based al Jazeera television.
“Military operations will drag the region to a wide war.”
sco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said Wednesday that a 13-year-old boy shot and killed his 6-year-old brother, wounded his 16-year-old brother and then fatally turned the gun on himself after an argument over food.
The shooting happened shortly after 6 p.m. in Hudson, a community in suburban Pasco County about an hour north of downtown Tampa.
During a news conference Wednesday evening, Nocco said the teen used a handgun during the shooting in the family’s mobile home.
The three brothers were home alone eating dinner when an argument over food broke out.
“This is a horrific scene,” Nocco said. “This is a nightmare.”
Details such as the victims’ names and how the teen obtained the gun weren’t immediately available.
The three boys lived in the home with their mother and an 18-year-old brother. The mom was at work, and the 18-year-old wasn’t home.
It’s not yet clear who owned the gun, Nocco said.
The wounded 16-year-old called authorities, Nocco said. His injuries are not believed to be life-threatening and the teen is being treated at an area hospital, a Pasco County Sheriff’s news release said.
At least 8 preliminary tornado reports after rotating storms hit central and eastern Oklahoma and northwest Arkansas
Glenn Beck says he is no longer a member of the Republican Party.
“I’ve made my decision — I’m out,” Beck said on his radio show Wednesday, according to Mediaite.com. “I’m out of the Republican Party. I am not a Republican; I will not give a dime to the Republican Party. I’m out.”
The former Fox News host and founder of the Blaze supported the GOP during the last election cycle but has become disillusioned with the party in recent years over what he believes was its failure to stand up to the Obama administration — specifically, the Affordable Care Act and immigration reform.
“Four years ago I was with them,” Beck said. “Four years ago I said, ‘Work from the inside, let’s change it, let’s get new guys in there.’”
But those efforts have proved futile, he said.
“They’re torpedoing the Constitution, and they’re doing it knowingly,” Beck said. “They’re taking on people like Mike Lee and Ted Cruz and they are torpedoing them. Knowingly. And these guys are standing for the Constitution.”
He added: “It’s too late.”
The GOP isn’t the only group Beck is fed up with. Last week, Beck threatened to quit the National Rifle Association if it doesn’t cut ties with Grover Norquist after one of his guests, Frank Gaffney, accused Norquist of being connected with the Muslim Brotherhood.
“If this man is elected, or re-elected, and confirmed on the board of the NRA, I may drop my membership in the NRA,” Beck told listeners and viewers of his show. “I am that concerned that he is a very bad influence and a very bad man that, if this is who the NRA decides to put on their board of directors, I don’t think I can be associated with them.”
(Reuters) – Russia ruled out handing Crimea back to Ukraine on Tuesday and a Defense Ministry official said nuclear-capable long-range bombers were being sent to the Black Sea peninsula as part of war games.
The huge military exercises, in which the Northern Fleet was put on full alert on Monday and will range from the Arctic to the Black Sea, appear to be a show of force and defiance on the anniversary of the annexation of Crimea.
Russia’s parliament approved the annexation on March 21 last year after Russian forces took control of the peninsula, which is home to Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, and residents backed joining the Russian Federation in a referendum.
Dismissing a U.S. pledge to keep economic sanctions in place on Russia over the annexation, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said: “Crimea is a region of the Russian Federation and of course the subject of our regions is not up for discussion.”
Russia announced the start of military drills on Monday involving more than 45,000 troops as well as war planes and submarines.
Interfax news agency quoted an unidentified Defense Ministry official as saying on Tuesday the exercises would include the deployment of Tu-22M3 bombers in Crimea.
The official also said long-range Iskander ballistic missiles were being sent to the Kaliningrad exclave bordering NATO members Lithuania and Poland for the war games, which also involve the Baltic Fleet and the Southern Military District.
The military exercises – after President Vladimir Putin’s first public appearance since March 5 – are the latest sign of Russia flexing its muscles since the start of the crisis in Ukraine, where Russia backs separatists fighting Kiev’s forces.
General Valery Gerasimov, chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces, said in January that Crimea, Kaliningrad and the Arctic would be priority areas this year as the military strengthens its combat capabilities.
NATO’s top military commander, General Philip Breedlove, has said Russia’s “militarization” of Crimea could be used to exert control over the Black Sea.
Any military build-up on NATO’s doorstep in Kaliningrad is also a concern for the Western alliance, while the Arctic’s mineral riches and energy reserves ensure that territory there is contested by several nations.
Russian forces seized control of Crimea after the overthrow of a Ukrainian president backed by Moscow, a move described by Russian officials as a coup which threatened the safety of Crimea’s mainly Russian-speaking population.
U.S. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said on Monday Washington would keep economic sanctions in place on Russia as long as Crimea remains under Russian rule.
European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said the 28-nation bloc would also stick to its policy of not recognizing the annexation and pursuing sanctions.
(Editing by Ralph Boulton)